Flaked Barley is a popular addition to horse muesli mixes in WA. It is readily available and grows well, keeping the price competitive against other grains. Barley is between oats and corn in nutritional value with a good fibre content.
Barley has a lower outer hull content and a higher energy density then oats. It is a traditional conditioning and “cool feed” and used as an energy feed for old horses with poor teeth. It can be a better source of energy for horses who have a reaction to oats.
Quality barley is a pale golden colour and the grains will be uniform size and undamaged. The grains should be plump with a rough surface and pointed ends. There should be a minimal amount of dust and fines within the bag.
Barley is between corn and oats in terms of nutritional value. By weight, Corn is higher with oats less in the amount of digestible energy. Barley does not have vitamins A and D which means horse owners must use other feeds which has these vitamins or add them as supplements. Also low are phosphorous and calcium levels (lower then both corn and oats) which must then also be supplemented.
Digestible Energy (MJ/kg) 15.2
Crude Protein (%)11.97
- Steam rolling starts the gelatinization process which is the cooking of the starch. It increases digestibility, improves nutritional uptake plus enhances the nutritional value and palatability of grain.
- Requires no soaking or cooking.
- Great to add condition to horses.
- Can be used to make up part of a balanced diet for horses and livestock.
- Thompson and Redwood source the best natural ingredients from farmers in Western Australia.
- Breaking grains by rolling or crushing decreases the shelf life of the grain
- Nutritional value is always lost when a grain is broken. The longer the grain is in storage the more nutrition is lost.
- Barley attracts mould quicker then other grains.
- Barley is also more likely to attract weevils then corn and oats.
- DO NOT cook flaked, rolled or crushed barley. This will result in a gluggy mass that can compact in the horses stomach and trigger colic.
Bag Size 25 kg
For more Barley products https://www.backyardstobarnyards.com.au/product/whole-barley/